Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Let's Talk VOCALOID


Today we're going to talk about my rekindled love of VOCALOID. Do you like them? Do they annoy you? 

I first got into them when I learned about them my freshman year of college. I even cosplayed the genderbend of Gakupo, Gakuko! ...I guess you want to see, don't you?


...yeah, looks kind of awful, right? It was one of my first experiences cosplaying, and I chose the simplest design to do. But the point was I had fun with it. 

Yet, I was never too fond of the fandom, and eventually I got out of it. I had my moments where I'd get back into it, mostly having to do with Project Diva, but I never really felt the excitement and love for it again. Until now. 

The fiance and I just got a PS3 again! When we had one before, I had downloaded the demo for Project Diva F, but never played it. I was excited that I finally could now. I decided to get out my old, kind of broken PSP and my copy of Project Diva Extend out and play again. Gosh, I love rhythm games. From there I decided to do research, and found out that there were a lot more Vocaloids now then there were a few years ago. They all have such imaginative designs and they're from all around the world! I'm going to make another post later about my top ten favorite Vocaloids. Spoiler: Galaco is best.


From there, I decided to look up something very closely related: UTAU. Utau is a program much like Vocaloid, only free to use. There are thousands upon thousands of fan made voice banks for this program, each different from one another. At first I was just looking up info about my favorite, Namine Ritsu, but then it led me to the Utau wikipedia, which listed every single active and inactive Utauloid. So many! I want to draw them all!

But not only do I want to draw already existing Utau...I want to create. In the beginning, this was just me wanting to create character designs. But then I thought...why not create a voice bank for them? That's right, I'm going to record my voice, and bring my song ideas to life! May I introduce you to my Utau, Boukenne Hani!


She is a young pirate lady who loves adventure and singing! I also figured I could do the voice for her younger sister, Boukenne Remon. 


There are going to be some difficulties of course. I don't have the best voice, so recording the ideal notes might take a little while. Also...I've forgotten how to read music! Luckily my fiance remembers. 

Really...I'm just excited to be excited over something again! I haven't felt this happy and creative over something in a long while. 


No comments:

Post a Comment