Sunday, June 15, 2014

Top Ten Video Games I've Replayed Too Many Times



Hello again! So, since one of my earlier posts was about games I've never finished, I thought I should make this post about games I've played and finished and bit too much. We all have those games we love to replay, even to the point obsession, and here are mine!


10. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (GBC)

Yes, the first one is a movie game. But not a bad movie game! It is terribly short, however; I think the last time I played it I beat it in an hour. This is one of the first three video games I ever got. It's a bit of an RPG mixed with a little of just exploring, from what I can remember. Pretty simple. But I learned to level grind with this game, so much to the point that I would just max out my spells' levels at the very beginning of the game just to see if I could. It's a cute little game that I replayed over and over.



9. Frogger 2 Swampy's Revenge (GBC)

This was another of my first three games. I don't even know why I wanted this game. I remember circling it in a catalogue, even though I had never heard of the franchise. I guess I just liked the frog aspect? Either way, this was the first video game I ever beat. Maybe that's not saying a lot, but…there were a few hard parts and puzzle-like parts in that game! I also found all the secret gems (I think?) in every single level, and this was before I knew you could look for this stuff on the internet! I remember waking my dad up when I beat the game for the first time, and was sad he wasn't as excited as I.



8. Super Mario Brothers (GBC)

The cartridge itself is known as "Super Mario Bros. Deluxe" as it has both Super Mario Brothers and the original Mario Bros. on it. But I'm going to be talking specifically about SMB. I first played it in a very old arcade machine at my dentist's office. I wasn't good at first, but I learned what was where, and could soon advance to about world 2-1 before they would call me back to dental hell. So I had to get this game when I saw it in stores. Like I said in my last post, I'm not very good at Mario games, but I love them, so I persisted. Soon I beat the game, and then beat it over and over.



7. Pokemon Puzzle Challenge 

This is the Gameboy Color port of Pokemon Puzzle League for the N64. It's downgraded a bit, but still very fun and cute. I was maybe nine when I got this game. I didn't know a lot of things back then. I didn't know you could go online and look for secrets about video games. So it legitimately surprised me when I beat hard mode for the first time and it unlocked a new mode, and then another! I was also surprised as new characters became available for me to use. While I've never fully beaten the game's hardest mode, "intense mode," I've definitely given this game a fair share of my time.



6. Mario Kart DS

This wasn't my first Mario Kart game, but it's definitely my most loved. I've unlocked everything. I've gotten the highest ranking in everything. I hate that I sold it, because it was my go-to boredom game, no matter how much I played it. It never got boring! Unfortunately the 3DS version just did not live up to that.



5. We Love Katamari

Katamari is one of my most favorite game series. It's quirky, cultural, and cute and it something that can take my mind off almost any problem. While I've replayed and completed almost every version multiple times (except for the 360 and Vita versions) I think the second game for the Playstation 2 is the one I've played the most. It has so much more to do then any of the other games, in my opinion. I got this game maybe when I was fifteen, and I still play it to this day, around eight years later. I would have this higher on the list, but I haven't finished the game's hardest mode…the one million roses level. It's exactly what it sounds like. You gather one million roses. I think if the levels they game you to get said roses were more open or more varied, I'd be more willing to add to my total roses, but I get so bored going around in circles…luckily the rest of the game makes up for that!



4. DDR Max 2

This was my first game for the PS2! It only took me a few days to learn how to dance well, and maybe about a week to unlock all the songs. But of course, this game has a huge replay value. I ay have gotten through some songs, but only just, and I constantly was striving for that "AAA" rating. While I haven't played it since I moved into my apartment due to space, I still have it and my mat.



3. Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland

Here we get to the slightly obsessive part. This is my first and only Kirby game, though now I have more to play on the Virtual Console. It took me a while to fully beat the game, but I did. And then I beat it again. I would replay the last level over and over again just because I thought the battle was cool as anything. I also loved replaying the mode where you fight all the bosses in a row.



2. Pokemon Silver

This was my first Pokemon game, so naturally, it's my favorite, along with the remake, Soul Silver. I cannot tell you how many times I retorted this game before I finally completed it, and how many times I've restarted it since. I even got my dad to replace the battery when it finally ran out. I recently obtained a copy of the Japanese version, I can't wait to replace the battery in it so I can start playing!



1. Yoshi's Island (GBA)

I love Yoshi. He's not my favorite Mario character, but he is up there. This game has the Mario elements with a different twist, and maybe that's why I love it so much. Here's where it get's obsessive - I loved the credits song so much, and it didn't occur to me that I could probably find it online. So instead, I would replay the final boss battle and watch the credits every single night, only at night. I did this during long car trips as well; when we set off at night, I would turn on my light and play through the last battle just to hear the soothing credits song. I even made up words to it in fake Japanese (yes, I was that kind of kid).

1 comment: