Friday, September 19, 2014

How I feel about lolita...?


When I was first introduced to lolita fashion, when I was in high school, I was really into the gothic and elegant look of it. Of course, I was into general gothic fashion as well at the time. I got my first coordinates from Bodyline when I was just starting college - one was a black, white, and purple set that wasn't necessarily bad, and the other set was this awful gothic batty wa-lolita getup that didn't even fit me right.

Somewhere along the road, I decided I didn't like gothic as much, and that I really loved all things sweet and fluffy. All of my pieces since then have been either very sweet or bittersweet, and I haven't looked back. Gothic lolita just reminds me too much of when I was younger and inexperienced, and I feel like I can't be as creative in it. But sweet? Pile on the hairclips and pin on the bows!

But lately, I haven't really felt that lolita kick inside of me. This time last year I was dressing up just to dress up and every penny I earned went towards new dresses. Now, I've sold most of my wardrobe and only wear it if there's a special occasion or if my bestie asks me to. I still love looking at the coordinates that others post online, and I love to draw and create coordinates, but actually wearing it...doesn't really appeal to me right now.

Why? Is it the dresses I have? I've been told by many that I would really suit classic, and I am starting to like the more ornate classic designs. I still like sweet, but I think I like more toned down sweet, like AP's dressed without prints, or more subtle prints (like the Cosmic series).  Maybe it's just because I haven't had any new additions to my wardrobe recently. Maybe I need to clear out what few dresses I have left and start over from scratch. Or maybe I just need another dream dress to hunt after and covet.

Maybe the drama has finally gotten to me? I have never directly inserted myself into lolita drama, but a few people have pulled me into it or tried to start it. I don't really care...but I don't know, seeing others so affected by it...Or maybe it's that there's really been no "event" for me to wear it to, lately. I've had to keep skipping out on cons because of money, and the local comm has been dead. I know I can always wear it on my own, but I just haven't felt like it, plus the weather is only now dropping out of the 90s...

I was thinking last night, maybe I should "quit" and just sell everything, even my dream dress. But would I regret it? Yes, probably. I always thought it was silly that people thought they were too old for lolita. I imagined wearing it all my life. But now that I'm a little older...maybe I am outgrowing it? Or maybe I do need to switch to classic. I don't think I'll be wearing it all my life, that's for sure!

I just wanted to write down my thoughts on the matter.

When do you think you'll stop wearing your favorite fashion trend?

No comments:

Post a Comment