Saturday, May 17, 2014

New Sailor Moon Dub and Releases? What Sailor Moon Means to Me~


I'm not going to tell you how many hours I slept last night because it's embarrassing, but it was a lot. But in the middle of this sleep I woke up and scrolled through Twitter, and found the announcements made by Viz Media - that they had the rights to both the original 200 episodes of Sailor Moon and the impending Sailor Moon Crystal and that they were going to be streaming an official sub and releasing that along with a brand new dub on Blu Ray! Of course I was much too asleep to be properly excited, but after waking up from a very dark Sailor Moon dream, I realized just how amazing this all is! 

I have every episode of Sailor Moon in some form or another. I have them all digitally. I have everything aired on Toonami on VHS that I would record obsessively. I have S and SuperS on DVD. And then I have Stars on VHS and VCD. I love them all.

Sailor Moon was my very first anime. It was my first obsession. Not only did (and still do) I try to collect every single piece of merchandise - licensed or not -  that I could, but I would use my imagination to make my own. I pretended I had the largest Sailor Moon collection ever and that I knew the most about it. 

More importantly, it fueled my inspiration to two of my greatest passions - drawing and writing. I would draw every day, whether it be copying scenes from the manga or making my own, and take them to my doors. I would write elaborate scenarios and stories involving all the sailor senshi and even a few I made up myself. I had drawing and writing and storytelling before, but I think I wouldn't have loved it quite as much if Sailor Moon wasn't there for me. 

Now, I want to be a comic book artist. That is my number one goal in life. I draw a lot of inspiration from various aspects of Sailor Moon and other things that it led me to. But moreso the attitude inside the manga and anime..."you can do anything you set your mind to." The lead character is a lazy student, but saves the world over and over again, through hardships and complaining and self doubt. She believes in herself and her friends and family and they all back her up. 

I don't know. Perhaps I'm just rambling because I love it so much and it's such an important part of my life. But Sailor Moon is something that saved me. It was there for me when I felt no one else was. It's a constant inspiration. And, you know, it's just a pretty good show. 


No comments:

Post a Comment